importance of cities, and pedestrians

From the Monocle article

21st century economy is city-driven, but political power is based on the 19-20th century model of the nation-state.

Cities, not nations, are the community of the 21st century.

% of world pop living in cities 1800–3%, 1950–30%, 2012–50% or more.

18% of global population generate 66% of global economic activity and 85% of scientific/technical innovation– city dwellers

More people are killed by cars than by HIV, tb, or malaria.

97k pedestrians use main street NYC each day, and have 30% of the street space. 56k cars take the other 70%. Flushing main street

45% of trips in Chennai, India, are on foot or bike, yet attract only 3% of infrastructure spending

Advertisements

Posted on February 28, 2012, in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: